Last modified: November 11, 2022
What is Title I?
What is Title 1
A federal allocation of funds for schools classified as low income to assist students to demonstrate proficiency related on the stateʼs academic standards. Title1 is a funding source, not a program
What are the purposes of Title 1?
- Help students achieve proficiency on state academic standards- especially in reading/language arts and math.
- Help teachers improve by providing quality professional development
- Strengthen parentsʼ abilities to help their children succeed by providing quality parent involvement activities.
How did my childʼs school become a Title 1 school?
- Based on the percent of low income children in the school. which is identified by the free/ reduced price lunch application.
- All of Provoʼs Title1 schools are “school wide” schools
- School wide mission and goals are established.
- At least 40% poverty
- All students, regardless of income are served with Title1 funds.
How are Title1 funds used in Provo District?
- Personnel,(primarily instructional assistants)
- Extended day/year programs
Improving Student Achievement
- Title 1 schools must implement research-based instructional strategies and programs
- Teachers and instructional assistants must be highly qualified
- Instructional assistants must work under the direct supervision of a highly qualified teacher
- Targeted interventions are given to students who need additional instructional help
- Each school must review its progress annually.
- Parent right to know requirement- qualifications of your childʼs teacher such as degree and major, licenses and certifications
- School seeks parent input:
- a)in the planning and implementation of parent involvement activities
- b) in the development of school plan
- c) in the development of school -parent compact and parent involvement policy
- Parent access to assessment and evaluation data
- Description of the curricula and interventions used in the school
- Parents may ask for meetings to make suggestions about the education of their children Annual Title1-A Information for Parents