Last modified: January 10, 2019
What is Title I?
What is Title 1
A federal allocation of funds for schools classified as low income to assist students to demonstrate proficiency related on the stateʼs academic standards. Title1 is a funding source, not a program
What are the purposes of Title 1?
- Helpstudentsachieveproficiency on state academic standards- especially in reading/language arts and math.
- Helpteachersimprovebyproviding quality professional development
- Strengthenparentsʼabilitiestohelp their children succeed by providing quality parent involvement activities.
How did my childʼs school become a Title 1 school?
- Basedonthepercentoflow income children in the school. which is identified by the free/ reduced price lunch application.
- All of Provoʼs Title1 schools are “school wide” schools
- School wide mission and goals are established.
- At least 40% poverty
- All students, regardless of income are served with Title1 funds.
How are Title1 funds used in Provo District?
- Personnel,(primarilyinstructional assistants)
Improving Student Achievement
- TItle1schoolsmustimplement research-based instructional strategies and programs
- Teachersandinstructionalassistants must be highly qualified
- Instructionalassistantsmustwork under the direct supervision of a highly qualified teacher
- Targetedinterventionsaregivento students who need additional instructional help
- Eachschoolmustreviewitsprogress annually.
- Parentrighttoknowrequirement- qualifications of your childʼs teacher such as degree and major, licenses and certifications
- a)intothe planning and implementation of parent involvement activities
- b) into the development of school plan
- c) into the development of school -parent compact and parent involvement policy
- Parentaccesstoassessmentandevaluation data
- Descriptionofthecurriculaandinterventions used in the school
- Parentsmayaskformeetingstomake suggestions about the education of their children Annual Title1-A Information for Parents